Midterm Submission
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQd5-R_tPBs
Tyler Cook
Candidate 5047
My film is called “The Real Deal”. This film is about a struggling musician taking a deal with a newly launched record company owned by Max, an ambitious entrepreneur in the music industry. The film shows a young musician named Andrew and his journey from a local legend to a potential star.
In the film, camera shots are used to help tell the story. One shot that demonstrated this was the close up shot showing Andrew and Max shaking hands, this shows that the two characters have agreed to work together. Another shot that helps tell the story is an insert shot of a glass of water at the beginning that sets a mood of ambiance for the first scene.
Editing techniques are also used to tell the story in the film. This is demonstrated by a long take of Andrew walking to his car from the place where he played a show. This long take follows him to the car and pans around him showing that he is alone in the parking lot and everyone else was home. The take also shows him walking with his eyes fixed on the ground showing that he is tired and somewhat frustrated with the slow pace of his career.
The film was written and filmed by me. I felt a connection to the subject of this film because I am a musician and I wanted to shed light on the struggle of becoming successful in the music industry. When writing the script for the film I wanted to capture the essence of the characters in my word choices. Andrew was meant to be blunt due to the frustration he faced in his career whereas Max was meant to be arrogant and have a high opinion of himself.
If I were to make this a complete film, Max would become the antagonist. This is because I would have him go against Andrew’s wishes and change his image for mainstream appeal. This would cause Max to push Andrew to do his music differently ultimately leading to Andrew quitting and making music on his own.
Comments
Post a Comment