Distribution Research- A Star is Born

A star is born followed a mostly traditional distribution model. The film was released in theaters first and then was made available on digital download just days before the DVD release. The home media release happened about 90 days after the theatrical release which is conventional.

Theatrical Release 

     The theatrical release came with a few early showings at film festivals such as the Venice Film Festival and the Toronto Film Festival. The film released in theaters in early October of 2018 and was distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures. The film remained in theaters for the average 90 days. The Film was re-released in February of 2019 with some extra footage. 

Home Media Release 

     The film was released on digital download and on DVD. The digital download release came before the DVD release by 4 or 5 days. This was relevant because the demand for DVD copies of a film is increasingly lower and the digital download market is more profitable right now. There were a few special addition DVD and Blue Ray releases but these did not receive a lot of attention. 



What I Would Do 

      I would prioritize the digital download release like the team for this film did. The market for digital download is much more relevant and profitable right now. I would also try to make some film festival appearances because that helps build a reputation for the film. I would also try to do a short re-release of the film with extra footage because that gives the film a chance to make another profit in the theaters. I would definitely not have a standard theater window like this film because films make most of their money in the first three weeks. What I would rather do is have a much shorter window for the first release and then do the re-release.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Audience Engagement Research- Bohemian Rhapsody

Film Genre Research- A Star is Born